Research Engineering Associate III, Continuous Commissioning® Group
Google Scholar ResearchGate Publons LinkedIn
Dr. Rajeev Kamal is a Research Engineering Associate and works on various CC® and building research projects at the Energy System Laboratory. He has over 14 years of experience from industry and research on energy, solar thermal and PV systems, building efficiency and project management. His current work primarily comprises of research and application of building commissioning science by using scientific tools to reduce carbon footprints of Heating, Ventilation, and Air-conditioning (HVAC) in buildings. His experience includes developing and implementing projects for distributed solar energy, efficient lighting for buildings and roadways. He worked in the energy sector as an expert advisor providing services to state utilities, regulator and generation companies.
Few of his recent projects with the ESL include Continuous Commissioning® for Veterans Affair Hospitals at Raleigh, Salem, Fayetteville, Manhattan, Brooklyn and St. Albans, Texas Facilities Commission – Austin.
His education background includes B. Tech.(M.E.), M.B.A (Energy), and Ph.D., at the University of South Florida. He worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of South Florida. His research interest lies in testing, implementing, improving new and existing technologies for buildings, HVAC, renewables and storage materials. He has worked with various stakeholders including multi-lateral projects and in the states of Texas, New York, Virginia and North Carolina. As part of his doctoral research, he studied the performance of gas heat pumps and thermal energy storage for HVAC technologies looking at the technical and economic value to commercial buildings.
- • Rajeev Kamal, F. Moloney, C. Wickramaratne, A. K. Narasimhan, D. Y. Goswami, “Strategic Control and Cost Optimization of Thermal Energy Storage in Buildings Using EnergyPlus”, Applied Energy, Vol.246, 77-90, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.04.017
- • Rajeev Kamal, A. Narasimhan, C. Wickramaratne, A. Bhardwaj, D. Y. Goswami, E. K. Stefanakos and H. A. Ingley, “Field performance of a Gas-Engine Driven Heat Pump in a Commercial Building,” International Journal of Refrigeration, Vol.68, 15-27, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2016.04.019
- • Zhenxing Han, Manoj Kumar Ram, Rajeev Kamal, Turk Alamro, D. Yogi Goswami, Chand Jotshi. “Characterization of Molten Salt Doped with Different Size Nanoparticles of Al2O3”, International Journal of Energy Research, 2019, Vol.143, 3732-3745, https://doi.org/10.1002/er.4531
- • Arun Kumar Narasimhan, Chatura Wickramaratne, Rajeev Kamal, D. Yogi Goswami and Punit Singh, “Mapping scroll expander performance for organic working fluids using dimensionless parameters in Ns-Ds diagram”, Energy, 2019, Vol.182, 739-752, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2019.06.054
- • Wickramaratne, J. S. Dhau, R. Kamal, P. Meyers, D.Y. Goswami, E. Stefanakos, “Macro-encapsulation and Characterization of Chloride Based Inorganic Phase Change Materials for High Temperature Thermal Energy Storage Systems”, Applied Energy, 2018, Vol.221, 587-596. https://doi.org/10.1115/POWER2016-59427
- • D. Myers, Jr., T. E. Alam, Rajeev Kamal, D.Y. Goswami and E. Stefanakos, “Nitrate salts doped with CuO nanoparticles for thermal energy storage with improved heat transfer,” Applied Energy, 2016, Vol.165, 225-233, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.11.045
- • Mueller, M. Orosz, A. Narasimhan, Rajeev Kamal, H. F. Hemond and Y. Goswami, “Evolution and feasibility of decentralized concentrating solar thermal power systems for modern energy access in rural areas,” MRS Energy & Sustainability, 2016, Vol.3, Issue 4. https://doi.org/10.1557/mre.2016.4
- • Wickramaratne, F. Moloney, T. Pirasaci, Rajeev Kamal, D. Y. Goswami, E. K. Stefanakos, “Experimental study of high temperature thermal energy storage system with cylindrically encapsulated PCM under axial flow,” ASME, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1115/POWER2016-59427
- • Ahmadreza Sedaghat, Manoj K. Ram, A. Zayed, Rajeev Kamal, Natalya Shanahan, “Investigation of Physical Properties of Graphene-Cement Composite for Structural Applications,” Open Journal of Composite Materials, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/ojcm.2014.41002
- • A. K. Narasimhan, C. Wickramaratne, Rajeev Kamal, P. Singh, D.Y. Goswami, “Integration of organic Rankine cycle and scroll expander models for effective design and performance using organic working fluids”, ASME, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1115/ES2017-3640
- • ‘USF Excellence Award’ for an innovative contribution to project management at the University of South Florida Administrative Services – 2017
- • ‘USF Green Energy Fund,’ grant of $ 241,000 for two University of South Florida campus energy efficiency projects – 2016
- • ‘The Florida High Tech Corridor Council’s Matching Grants Research Program’ – Three research-funding awards 2014, 2015 & 2017.
- International Experience:
- • Technical Expert – Renewables International Development, GIZ GmbH (giz.de) – Jul. 2010 – Aug. 2012
- • Deputy Manager, Feedback Ventures (P) Ltd, India. (http://www.feedbackinfra.com/) – Sept. 2006 – Jul. 2010
- • Executive Officer, North Delhi Power Ltd., India. (ndpl.com) – Jun. 2005 – Aug. 2006